An Invaluable Business Experience
The UTCA case competition is a high profile one-day event, which provides a venue to share consulting strategies
with other students and network with industry professionals
. Teams consisting of four participants are given a case in which they analyze and provide a fifteen-minute presentation. The Business Case Competition will be held on January 12th 2008 Judges from the world's top management consulting firms will select the winners. Cash prizes will be awarded
to the first, second, and third place teams.
- Create a team of 4 current University of Toronto students (full-time or part-time)
- Complete online application below by Friday November 30th, 2007 midnight.
- Submit $40.00 team registration fee and form in an envelope addressed to UTCA at the Hart House Porter's Desk by November 30th, 2007.
- Attend the Business Case Competition Prep Session on Tuesday January 8th, 2008.
|Monday Nov 12th, 2007 @ 9:00 am:
||Online Registration Opens
|Friday Nov 30th, 2007 @ Midnight:
||Online Registration closes
(Registration fee must be paid at Hart House Porter's desk by midnight of November 30th)
|Tuesday Jan 8th, 2008 @ 7:00 pm:
||Business Case Competition Prep Session (BA 1210)
|Wednesday Jan 9th, 2008:
||Business Case and Schedule to be sent via emails to teams
|Saturday Jan 12th, 2008 from 9 - 4 pm:
||Business Case Competition 2008 (Bahen Centre for Information Technology)
|9:00 - 11:30 am
||Team Registration / Check-in / Photos
|9:00 - 9:30 am:
||Orientation session for judges
|9:30 - 12:00 pm:
||Round 1 presentations (Consists of 3 Pools)
|12:00 - 12:15 pm:
||Round 1 judges select top team in each pool and submit
nominations for Honorary Awards
|12:00 - 1:00 pm:
||Lunch / Mix & Mingle
||Announcement of 1st place teams in each pool
|1:00 - 2:30 pm:
||Final round presentation by top teams
|2:30 - 3:00 pm:
||Final round judges select 1st, 2nd and 3rd place teams
|3:00 - 4:00 pm:
||Announcement of Honorary Award Winners and Case Competition Champions followed by Reception with all teams and consultants
- All participants must be current University of Toronto students (full-time or part-time, including PEY students).
- Teams will not be allowed to reclaim the registration fee after the deadline on November 30th.
- UTCA will accept the first 15 teams registered online, additional teams will be waitlisted. Should a team withdraw or fail to submit their registration fee by the November 30th deadline, waitlisted teams will be notified by e-mail.
- Teams must have signed-in at the UTCA welcome desk no later than 30 minutes prior to the start of their presentation time slot.
- Each team will be given a 30 minute time slot between 9:15 - 11:45 am for the First Round, consisting of 5 minutes setup, 15 minutes presentation, 5 - 10 minutes Q&A.
- If any one of the 4 members is late or not present during the start of the team's presentation (without valid reason), 5 percentage points will be deducted from the 'Presentation' category of the marking scheme. Teams require a minimum of 3 members present in order to compete.
- Each member of the team is required to present material (applies to both rounds).
- There are no limits to the sources used in making the presentation.
- The presentation in the preliminary round will not count in the evaluation of the presentation in the Final Round.
- Judges are not to allocate the same total score to any team within the same pool.
- Judges from each pool will choose the top team to present at the final round.
- The UTCA Executive will make final decisions for Honorary Award recipients based on nominations from Round 1 judges.
- The teams are not allowed to watch any of the other teams' presentations in the preliminary rounds. Furthermore, the finalists are not allowed to watch any of the other finalists' presentations preceding their own.
- Final round will be open attendance to teams, UTCA members, and special guests.
- All material used and prepared during the case competition is the property of UofT Case Competition.
- Any violation of the rules above will result in immediate termination and disqualification of the team.
- The University of Toronto Consulting Association reserves the right to disqualify any team that conducts themselves in an unprofessional manner in any aspect of their participation in the Business Case Competition 2008.
Each judge will evaluate each team on a scale of 100:
- Identified key problems
- Used supporting facts/data
- Drew accurate conclusions
- Considered risk
- Offered original insights
- Followed logically from analysis
- Dealt with all issues raised
- Used decision criteria
- Showed sound business judgment
- End result was practical/realistic
- Spoke clearly and concisely
- Structured storyline well
- Slides were visually attractive
- Showed enthusiasm and professionalism
Question & Answer (25%)
- Answered question posed
- Provided convincing explanations
- Admitted weakness
- Answered as a team
- 1st Place Overall ? $400
- 2nd Place Overall ? $200
- 3rd Place Overall ? $100
All competitors will receive a certificate of participation!
- Most Creative
- Best Analysis
- Best Communication
Presentation Slides courtesy of Deloitte and UTCA
- Bain & Co.
- Boston Consulting Group
- Deloitte Consulting
- McKinsey & Co.
- Monitor Group
- Oliver Wyman
- ZS Associates